About the businessTemplestowe Valley Primary School strives to provide an innovative and engaging learning experience, which promotes individual excellence and develops social responsibility. We aim to instil a lifelong love of learning through meaningful and challenging activities, within a safe and caring environment with a zero tolerance of child abuse. TVPS endeavours to deliver best-practice teaching methods, empowering student learning through programs that encourage our students to become self-motivated, successful and active global citizens.At Templestowe Valley Primary School we aim to foster the best possible teaching and learning environment that is both innovative and secure. Each student is valued, listened to and supported in their learning. We caterfor individual differences in academic endeavour through a differentiated curriculum that recognizes variations in learning styles. All students feel safe, valued, listened to and able to reach their full potential.The school has a current enrolment of 432 students with 20 classrooms and the following Specialist Programs -Performing Arts, Physical Education, Art, Mandarin, Literacy Support, and EAL. The teaching staff at Templestowe Valley are friendly, committed and approachable. They strive to deliver quality programs and take extra care in learning about the unique abilities of each child. As a school we pride ourselves on an inclusive learning program which caters for students with special needs.Templestowe Valleys philosophy reflects the values of Honesty, Acceptance, Responsibility and Respect. Our shared values and common language set out expectations for all members of the our school community. Our school is aligned with The Resilience Project and has You Can Do It as the over-arching program to guide our work and commitment to student health and well-being. The partnership with parents is an integral component in the success of our school. Our parents and community work actively together to support our educational programs. Our school is a friendly, supportive and dedicated learning environment for all our students and families.About the roleRoleAttendance requirement - 32.5 hours per week - 5 days x 6.5 hours - on days when student attends school (no payment over school holiday period).Position only available until end of 2019 school year - December 20, 2019.Undertakes routine tasks that are usually carried out under close supervision and direction. Work that carries some degree of independence will generally involve a limited number of tasks performed on a regular basis where priorities are clear, procedures are well established and direction is readily available.Work has little scope for deviation. Problems can usually be solved by reference to well documented procedures and instructions and clearly established practices. Deviation from established procedures will require reference to others for guidance and direction. Assistance is readily available when problems arise. An experienced employee at range 1 will exercise limited judgement within clearly defined guidelines and well established practices that relate specifically to the tasks performed.Does not carry responsibility for the work of others. More experienced employees will provide basic guidance and advice to others relating to tasks within the work area.An education support class position supports the educational services being provided to students, but must not include duties of teaching as defined in clause 2.6.1 of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) or its successor. Supervision of students cannot be required except where it is an integral part of the employees position or involves supervision of students individually or in small groups, in controlled circumstances, where the responsibility for students remains clearly with a teacher.
Skills and experienceResponsibilities
- Assist students on an individual or group basis in specific learning areas.
- Assist with the communication between students and teachers, particularly the interpretation of instructions.
- Provide basic physical and emotional care for students.
- Assist with the supervision of pupils in playgrounds, at camps, on excursions, in sporting activities, therapy activities and life skills.
- Assist in the preparation of student resources and equipment.
- Prepare basic curriculum support resources.
- Set up and put away equipment and materials in support of teaching programs.
- Observe students and draw the attention of the teacher to them where necessary.
- Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of programs and evaluation of individual student involvement and achievement.
- Ensure work areas and materials, equipment and appliances are maintained in a clean and ready to use condition.
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check
- Do you have experience working with children with special needs
- How many years' experience do you have as a teacher aide
- Have you completed a qualification in education support
Report this job advert
Login & Apply